Blog of the Green Mage

This Blog is kind of an extension to my Youtube Page, and they pretty much go hand-in-hand. Here I post about what video game playthroughs I am currently doing and which ones I'm thinking about doing in the future, my thoughts on games I've played and gaming news, and maybe just what's been up with me lately.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

IGN Reviews Monster Hunter Tri (3)

Posted by Gamree the Green Mage

     Oddly enough, IGN just put up their Monster Hunter Tri Review today, nearly a week before the game is set to release (next Tuesday).  Usually IGN waits until the Monday, or at the earliest I've ever seen, the Friday before a game is set to release before they put up their review on it, but I don't think I have never seen them put up a review nearly a week before a game's release date.  Either way, it's there, and of course, I'm going to link you guys to it here for easier access.  Click here for the written review.


IGN Monster Hunter Tri Video Review

Monster Hunter Tri at IGN.com

"...Monster Hunter Tri isn't a game for everyone. It's a dense product with a learning curve higher than most other Wii titles available. It requires patience, persistence, and a willingness to learn from your mistakes. The challenges you'll face in Monster Hunter will seem insurmountable at times, but with the correct planning and skillful play you'll be able to slice your way through and move on to the next. Overcoming daunting obstacles is part of what makes playing Monster Hunter so rewarding, and the game gives you the option to do so offline by yourself or with friends. With an impressive online suite for social interaction and questing, Monster Hunter's deep gameplay and upgrade systems are made even better, letting you bask in the shared glory and benefits of bringing down enormous, dangerous beasts. Better yet, this version of the game can be played with minimal camera control frustration provided you're using a Classic Controller or Pro version, and is the prettiest entry in the franchise released outside of Japan. For those who prefer games that reward skill and offer huge amount of options for varied play style, character customization, and a vast amount of content, look no further. This is the best Monster Hunter yet, and even if there's still a lot that's familiar for franchise fans, it remains a totally unique and engrossing action-RPG experience..."
     ~Charles Onyett


     After reading and watching the review, it seems the only few complaints IGN has with the game are the loading screens, the steep learning curve and repetitive nature the game will have for newcomers (more of a warning than an actual issue), and most importantly the game's inconsistent controls, which, while an improvement over past iterations of the game, could still be vastly improved on.  In my personal opinion, if the game loads as fast as it does in the demo, or even twice as long, th loading times will not be an issue for me.  I'm aware of the steep learning curve for the franchise, but I'm still willing to tough it out in order to play the game, so much so that I even bought the original Monster Hunter on the PS2 a couple of days ago to be able to get a bit better at understanding the game's structure.  The gripe about the controls will probably be my biggest concern with the game, as even with the demo I am having some difficulty adjusting to the controls, on the Classic Controller at least.  I've become accustomed to using the Wii-mote and Nunchuk quite efficiently, but whenever I make the transition to the Classic Controller, I seem to become incredibly disoriented because the controls aren't what I believe they should be.  Seeing how everyone else says that the Classic Controller is a better solution than the Wii-mote/Nunchuk combo, maybe I'm just weird like that.  =P

    Overall, IGN gave the game a score of 8.8, which seems a bit lower than what I was expecting, and how they made the game sound.  I was expecting the game to receive around a 9.2, or at least breach the 9.0 mark.  That said, obviously I haven't played the actual game yet, and am only basing my opinions on what I've seen and know from research and not on actual game experience just yet.  I may or may not write my own review on the game after extensively playing it myself, but to try and do one right now would be pretty stupid.  Either way, I am excited for this game, and next Tuesday just won't come fast enough.  >.<

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey this is LordSamus1 from youtube. I thought it would get a higher review as well. i can understand how the controls can be frustrating but i bet it will be better with the classic controller :D. oh and if you didn't know you can get the classic controller with the special edition of the game i think.

Post a Comment